Interested in cosmetic dentistry in Louisville or Lafayette? Not sure what dental issues can be corrected with common cosmetic dental treatments? Here a few common dental issues that can be resolved using cosmetic dentistry, as well as the limitations of cosmetic care.
Common Issues Fixed With Cosmetic Dentistry
Cosmetic dentistry is intended to resolve all aesthetic issues with your smile. If your mouth is healthy but you feel self-conscious about your appearance because of how your smile looks, it’s the best option for you. Here are a few of the most common issues that can be fixed with cosmetic dentistry.
- Uneven or misshapen teeth – If you have irregularly-shaped teeth or a few teeth that are not even with the rest of your smile, treatments like dental bonding or veneers can be used to restore the shape of your teeth and improve your appearance.
- Gaps in your smile – You may have gaps in your smile because of minor orthodontic issues or small teeth. Depending on your case, you may be able to restore these gaps with veneers, dental bonding, or even cosmetic crowns.
- Slightly crooked or crowded teeth – Very minor issues with teeth alignment can often be resolved with veneers, since the veneer placement process involves removing a thin layer of tooth material.
- Teeth staining – Teeth stains are usually treated with teeth whitening. However, severe or internal stains that do not respond to whitening may require treatment with veneers, bonding, or dental crowns.
- Minor teeth chipping – If you have very small chips in your teeth, Dr. Martin may recommend treatment with enameloplasty, which involves removing a thin layer of enamel from the teeth to provide you with a more even smile. Dental bonding, or veneers may also be recommended.
Cosmetic Dentistry Can’t Treat Damaged Or Decayed Teeth
While some treatments like dental bonding and veneers can be used to treat slight tooth damage like cosmetic chips in the teeth, they are not intended to be used to treat teeth that have been damaged by oral injuries, or to treat decayed or infected teeth.
If you have any serious oral health issues, you will need treatment with restorative care like fillings, crowns, and root canals before you can have your smile restored with cosmetic dentistry.
Cosmetic Dentistry Can’t Treat Orthodontic Issues
It’s also important to note that cosmetic dentistry is not intended to correct serious orthodontic problems. If, for example, you have large gaps between your teeth as well as some crooked or crowded teeth, it may be necessary for you to get orthodontic treatment like Invisalign or braces to correct the position of your teeth before you get cosmetic treatment.
Interested In Cosmetic Dentistry? Contact Us Today
If you’re interested in restoring your smile with cosmetic dentistry in Lafayette or Louisville, Dr. James Martin is here to help. With a consultation at our office, you can explore your options in further detail, and get a customized treatment plan based on your smile goals and your budget. Contact us online to get started, or give us a call at (970) 289-5433.